[Dovecot] 1.0.rc10 in inetd mode

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 10:34:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Phil Oleson wrote (originally top-posted):

> Phil Oleson wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I just realized my problem description sucked in describing how
> > to reproduce this.  I've setup xinetd to start imap-login.  I was
> > connecting to the imaps port with 'openssl s_client -connect ..'
> > pressing enter until the server process ended the session.  The 1st and
> > 2nd, times everything appears to work... though with slightly different
> > output.   The 3rd time the connection opens, but no output is received
> > and the connection is inoperable as well as any following connection to
> > that server.
> >
> > I verified that the non ssl session has the same problem, and that the
> > stand-alone server mode does not have this problem, so it's isolated to
> > the inetd mode.
> >
> > Sorry.. hope this helps..
>
> Guess I'll keep responding to myself, in order to keep a trail for this
> issue. as noone else has chimed in with a suggestion.
>
> Tried the to get the same results out of a FreeBSD box and though it
> failed similarly on the 1st and 2nd connections, the 3rd connect failed
> slightly differently with:  'Fatal: EOF while reading environment from
> master' and disconnects, while on the RHEL4 box where the orignal test
> was run, hangs with no error.
>
> Guess I need to figure out the istream implementation in place for
> dovecot.

Coincidentally, I've just been trying rc10 on Linux/FC5 both in daemon
mode where it behaved pretty well (a few issues unrelated to the above),
and in xinetd mode where it immediately displayed various of peculiar
behaviours on call set-up.  (I wasn't even attempting any "CR-slamming".)

I haven't had the chance to investigate, or even properly record, this
xinetd aspect.  And local priority juggling means, sadly, that I probably
won't be able to pursue it any time soon.  But just to let you know you
are not alone.  Count this merely as a "+1" for observing significantly
poorer behaviour under "xinetd".

But I also note and respect the author's:
   http://wiki.dovecot.org/InetdInstall

which says right at the top:
   "Preferred way to run Dovecot is to just start the dovecot binary..."

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :