[Dovecot] Shared folders plans for the future

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed Oct 25 14:31:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I think the "public folders" configuration will stay as it is now. Does
> it really even need anything else? The problematic case is how the users
> can share their mailboxes to other users. There are two problems related
> to it:

> 1) How to get (quickly) a list of another user's mailboxes that I have
> access to?

You need this information for "LIST"? Just asking, it would help for large
folder structures only, right? Otherwise, it adds yet another redundant
stuff, one needs to maintain and probably fix, e.g. run a nightly job to
verify the symlinks.

> 2) How to get quickly a list of all users who have mailboxes that I have
> access to?

Why do you need this information?
Wouldn't it better to pass this information araund via, say, EMail?
Then an user may SELECT a specific mailbox directly or can LIST an
specific user.

===

What worries me more is the information in the following two pages:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL
http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedFolders

For virtual users (with just one account for all users) there is no
problem, but for real users ACLs superceed filesystem permissions.
Dovecot would need to maintain the "dovecot-shared" files as well as
mangle the permissions correctly.

For global shared mailboxes one need to create a group giving all users
get read / write permission, possibly narrowed down by the ACLs. But users
with shell access can bypass the ACLs.

When an user shares a mailbox to other users, either all these users must
belong to one group or Dovecot need to create a group dynamically for
them.

Bye,

- --
Steffen Kaiser