[Dovecot] Shared folders plans for the future

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 24 20:47:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 14:57 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > The ~/Maildir/shared directory could then contain symlinks to all the
> > shared mailboxes. The directory list could probably be in Maildir++
> > layout even though the symlinks would point to mboxes.
>
> Why would the symlinks point to mboxes? Is it required for shared
> mailboxes to be in mbox format? If so, I'm confused - didn't you say
> that the support for Public Shared folders in maildir format should work?

There's a bug: s/even though/even if/ :)

So I mean simply that no matter if you actually use mboxes or maildirs,
the shared directory would contain symlinks like:

my_stuff -> ../.my_stuff
my_stuff.subfolder -> ../.my_stuff.subfolder

And with mboxes (assuming mail in ~/mail/ and shared in ~/.shared):

my_stuff -> ../mail/my_stuff
my_dir.subfolder -> ../mail/my_dir/subfolder

> Lastly, are you contemplating adding support for Client-side control of
> the ACLs for the users Shared folders? I'm not sure about anyone else,
> but I don't give my users shell access, so they wouldn't be able set
> these up themselves...

Yea. This would just need updating the ACL plugin to support writing the
dovecot-acls files. And then creating a new imap-acl plugin.