[Dovecot] Problem with rc10

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Thu Oct 26 16:54:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 05:19:40PM -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> I just upgraded our test server from rc6 to rc10...
>
> ISSUE #1
>
> I noticed that we no longer are getting two "From_" lines.  However, the
> one that was good (had the original sender e-mail address) is now gone.
> The one with "dovecot.deliver" remains.
>
> I attempted to add "-d test" to the mailbox_command line in main.cf as follows:
>
>   mailbox_command = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d test
>
> and things turned ugly and caused Postfix to defer messages:
>
>   Oct 17 16:31:50 hostname postfix/local[7230]: D14632C9C: to=<someuser at somehost>, relay=local, delay=3.6, delays=3/0.02/0/0.62, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure)
>
> I removed the "-d test" from the Postfix main.cf and the problem went away.
> So, how do I fix the "From_" lines?

The final resolution for #1 was to use this in the Postfix main.cf file:

mailbox_command = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f "$SENDER"

> ISSUE #2
>
> After upgrading, messages cannot be moved from the INBOX to a folder.
> Thunderbird claims there was an internal error and to consule the server
> logs, but I see nothing in the dovecot logs that would indicate what's
> going on.  For example, I attempted to move a message into my Trash folder
> which did not currently have any index files.  Here is a Solaris truss
> output of that attempt:

The workaround for #2, as mentioned earlier, was to make sure to index ALL
mailboxes (using mbox_min_index_size = 0, which is the default).
Until this is fixed, please know that you must have mbox_min_index_size set
to 0 if you are using mbox format, perhaps others as well, in RC10.
The problem did not exist in RC6.  I don't know about the ones in between.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593