[Dovecot] Shared folders plans for the future

Fri Oct 27 11:41:35 UTC 2006

>> But normal users shouldn't normally be able to delete public folders,
>> should they? Unless you mean folders of *theirs* that they have shared.
>>
>> Public Folders should be managed only by designated admins, no?

> In our environment "public" refers to our in-house staff.  They create a
> "public" folder for each project they work on so all team members can
> see all the mail related to the project. It works best as a
> collaborative effort.  I don't really want them to have to come to me to
> request creation or deletion of a folder.
>
> The most common reason to delete a folder is that someone tries to make
> one with a period in its name, and you know what happens then.

Right - so it just boils down to how you define 'Public' - and you
confirmed that these were not actually 'public' folders as *I* would
define them, but folders that individuals had shared.

I would describe Public Folders as folders that were created and
adminstered by the sys admin(s), for use by people in the company.
Certainly, allow them deletion in down-level folders if desired, but
they shouldn't be able to delete the parent shares.

So we are on the same page most likely... :)

--

Best regards,

Charles