[Dovecot] "dovecot dead but subsys locked" problem

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Oct 27 20:47:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 09:43:47PM +0200, Jakob Curdes wrote:
> Carla Tironi Farinati schrieb:
> >I've got two problems, a)my server is now listed as RCB, whatever that
> >means, I suppose that's close to spamming.
> >"0: Connection refused. Your IP address is blocked(Spamhaus XBL) - see
> >http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=216.32.68.90 "
> >
> That is bad news; you probably built an open relay. Check the numerous
> postfix docs no how to avoid being an open relay - especially configure
> your server to use an AUTH mechanism if it is located in the open
> internet.

well... when I followed that link, it got me here:

   http://cbl.abuseat.org/namingproblems.html

which is about mail servers using bogus HELO names (like "friend" or
"mark" or "fihjjnjk").  I'm surprised (and skeptical, even) that postfix
would be responsible for that.  Perhaps there is something else doing
direct SMTP connections from that system?  At any rate it isn't a
dovecot thing.

mm