[Dovecot] "dovecot dead but subsys locked" problem

Jim Trigg jtrigg at spamcop.net
Fri Oct 27 20:54:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, October 27, 2006 3:43 pm, Jakob Curdes wrote:
> Carla Tironi Farinati schrieb:
>
>> Following the advice of someone really helpfull here, I just installed
>> Postfix/Dovecot (from rpms). I'm running CentOs 4.4. I followed this
>> guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_postfix_virtual_hosting
>>
>> I've got two problems, a)my server is now listed as RCB, whatever that
>> means, I suppose that's close to spamming.
>> "0: Connection refused. Your IP address is blocked(Spamhaus XBL) - see
>> http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=216.32.68.90 "
>>
> That is bad news; you probably built an open relay. [...] But this all is
> really off-topic for an IMAP server list.

If you follow the trail of links you'll see that the problem is *not* open
relaying.  It is that the name the server is attempting to greet with does
not resolve to its IP address.  The page that Spamhaus eventually points
to with specific information about why the IP address is listed and how to
deal with it is http://cbl.abuseat.org/namingproblems.html

Jim