[Dovecot] Continuing problems with zombied dovecot-auth procs; mail-cache-fields.c IMAP procs crashing

JB Zimmerman jbz at ximian.com
Tue Oct 31 14:20:16 UTC 2006

Folks-

  Hans Morten Kind was kind enough to confirm the issue I'm having with
large mailboxes and the mail-cache-fields.c file (line 26: unreached
error in logs when the imap process crashes out on large Maildirs).  Has
anyone implemented a fix for this that is both tested and applicable
without making manual code changes myself, since I don't trust myself
slashing about in source files?  Ideally, has this problem been noted
for fixing in a newer version?

  Failing that, if I downgrade to the 0.99 version shipped with RHEL4,
has anyone found that to be more reliable? I used the 1.0rc10 in order
to gain access to the 'namespace' conf directives so that upgrading from
our current Courier Maildir installations would be as seamless as
possible, but at the moment, I'm looking at having to roll back to
Courier in order to fix this (and the next) problem.

  Also, we have found that using 1.0rc10 on RHEL4, using pam-ldap for
account info and pam-krb for auth, has resulted in the eventual
inaccessability of mail due to many zombied and unresponsive
dovecot-auth processes.  Restarting dovecot the first few times it
becomes unresponsive will fix the problem, presumably by instantiating
new auth procs, but eventually this no longer works since the restart
doesn't actually kill off the zombied auth procs and the socket stops
responding.

  Has anyone run into this problem?

Thanks,

J.B. Zimmerman

RHEL4AS, fully updated, using the AT rpms: dovecot-1.0-0_27.rc10.el4.at