[Dovecot] userdb/autdb via ldaps

Jürgen Herz jherz at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 12 14:40:16 EEST 2006

Stian Jordet wrote:
> Jürgen Herz wrote:

>> But I haven't found how to configure dovecot to use ldaps. Would someone
>> please direct me to the right place or directly help how to?
>>
> You just set it up as if you were using normal ldap (the config file is
> well documented), and use
>
> uris=ldaps://buick.jordet.net/
>
> instead of host, etc. Works great for me :)

Unfortunatelly it doesn't here.
On startup dovecot contacts the LDAP server, exchanges ssl messages
(according to Wireshark Client Hello; Server Hello, Certificate, Server
Hello Done; Client Key Exchange, Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake
Message; Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake Message) but only ACKs
the last reply from the LDAP and then nothing--no login, no other
encrypted payload.
Then when connecting with a client to dovecot, it FIN, ACKs the old
hanging connection, starts over but again does nothing after above
handshake.

Only entries in mail.log are
Error: auth(default): LDAP: Can't connect to server: (null)
Error: auth(default): LDAP: Can't connect to server: (null)
Error: child 3411 (auth) killed with signal 11
Error: auth(default): LDAP: Can't connect to server: (null)
Error: auth(default): LDAP: Can't connect to server: (null)

Can't see what's wrong.

Dovecot 1.0.rc7 with LDAP and SSL

Bye,
Jürgen