[Dovecot] LIST command ignores "hidden=yes" for default namespace

Bill Boebel bill at webmail.us
Tue Sep 26 01:17:31 EEST 2006

On Sun, August 6, 2006 7:57 pm, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> said:

> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 12:04 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
>> On Sun, June 11, 2006 1:51 pm, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> said:
>> > On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 22:03 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
>> >I'm not sure if this is a bug or just an undesirable feature, but when I
>> >have our namespace configured to match Courier's "INBOX." functionality,
>> >Dovecot forces me to also define a default namespace (with no prefix).
>> >Without the default namespace defined I get "NO Unknown namespace." errors
>> >when trying to subscribe or unsubscribe folders.
>> >
>> > It was a bug when tb-extra-mailbox-sep workaround was enabled. Fixed:
>> > http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-June/005709.html
>> >

>> The second part of this still seems to be the case with RC2... the LIST command
>> ignores "hidden=yes".
>
> hidden=yes only means it's not listed in NAMESPACE command's reply and
> that the namespace prefix isn't shown as a mailbox in LIST replies.
> Since the prefix is empty and you're listing the mailboxes from root, it
> shows the mailboxes as it should..
>
> Correct way would be to just use one namespace and fix the problems
> related to it. Could you test with RC6 and show me what commands give
> the unknown namespace errors? Subscribing and unsubscribing worked fine
> with me. Although INBOX subscription causes some problems with LSUB.

I finally got around to testing this.  I tested with RC7 CSV 20060924.  And I am testing with just one namespace:

namespace private {
  separator = .
  prefix = INBOX.
  inbox = yes
}

I no longer get the unknown namespace errors.  However, INBOX is listed twice in the LIST command:

2 list "" "*"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX.RSS"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Test"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.spam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.RSS.Kevin Minnick"

If I change the namespace's inbox setting to "inbox = no" it only lists the INBOX once, however subscribing to the INBOX gives the "Unknown namespace." error.

2 list "" "*"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX.RSS"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Test"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.spam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.RSS.Kevin Minnick"
2 OK List completed.
4 subscribe INBOX
4 NO Unknown namespace.