[Dovecot] /etc/passwd authentication anomalies

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Mon Apr 9 22:21:28 EEST 2007

I am using the base AIX Unix authentication with NIS.  There is a base
/etc/password file (though the passwords are in a funny, IBM-peculiar
file, /etc/security/passed) of just 18 lines...since NIS is in use, the
last line is the standard for-anything-you-don't-find-here-try NIS
indicator:
+::0:0:::

When I start up DC, I get these error massages:

Apr  9 14:44:59 mercury mail:err|error dovecot: auth(default): passwd-file /etc/passwd: User root has invalid UID 0
Apr  9 14:44:59 mercury mail:err|error dovecot: auth(default): passwd-file /etc/passwd: User kmem has invalid GID 0
Apr  9 14:44:59 mercury mail:err|error dovecot: auth(default): passwd-file /etc/passwd: User ipsec has invalid GID 0
Apr  9 14:44:59 mercury mail:err|error dovecot: auth(default): passwd-file /etc/passwd: User + has invalid UID 0

This is a niggle, but is there something I should do differently, or is
DC just annoyed at what IBM has done with /etc/passwd?

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources