[Dovecot] PAM question

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Tue Apr 10 02:06:30 EEST 2007

These sound like basic sysadmin questions, not dovecot questions, but
here goes.

On April 9, 2007 3:21:15 PM -0400 Stewart Dean <sdean at bard.edu> wrote:
> I get the errmsg:
> auth|security:err|error dovecot-auth PAM:  load_modules: can not open
> module /usr/lib/security/pam_prohibit
> That file is 444 root:security
>
> What is wrong here?

Maybe /usr/lib/security is not world readable.

> Also, I'm using plain UINX authentication, but PAM keeps trying to run.
> How do I turn it off?

On some (many?) systems, "plain UINX authentication" *is* PAM
authentication.

> I'll probably eventually want to use PAM; how do I get it to look in
> /etc/pam.conf instead /etc/pam.d...or will it find it automatically?

This generally happens automatically.  Don't know what system you are on
so it's hard to be sure.

-frank