[Dovecot] keeping indexes in tmpfs

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Mon Apr 16 16:37:59 EEST 2007

While doing some testing with converting accounts while simulating
incoming mail load (no other pop/imap processes going but 4 processes
converting users), we found that we were maxing out the local disk in
the server with the index activity. To find out that it was the index
activity, I mounted a tmpfs for dovecot to keep indexes on, and the
system load dropped from 70 to 3 :)

Anyway, Timo and others, do you have any thoughts about keeping indexes
on a tmpfs partition? I realize the obvious issues with this: running
out of space, and the fact that the partition is lost on reboot.
However, we plan to run a cluster of these servers anyway, where we will
keep domains/accounts going to a particular server but fail over to one
of the others in case of an outage. Recreating the indexes seems pretty
trivial when writing to tmpfs anyway, plus we could copy the indexes to
disk (restore after reboot) in the case of planned outages... unplanned
outages result in another server rebuilding them all anyway.

So, I'm looking for non-obvious issues we may have with this approach. I
need to do more testing to see how much memory we would actually need to
feasibly keep the indexes there, but otherwise is there a good reason
not to do this?