[Dovecot] v1.1 plans

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Apr 18 01:38:32 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:46 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I'm planning on keeping v1.1 almost completely compatible with v1.0.
> There could be some minor configuration file changes, but for most
> people v1.0's dovecot.conf should work with v1.1.

Please, this needs to be "Everyone's v1.0 dovecot.conf will work in
v1.1." If you're going to change the configuration file format even in
some subtle way, please bump the major version. Likewise with plugin
support... if you're going to break API or ABI, please bump the major
version. It's easy enough to avoid breaking compatibility gratuitously.
People do not expect configuration files to need changing between minor
releases and they'll be quite upset if things break.

Richard