[Dovecot] Authentication problem - or is it?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:25:07 EEST 2007

On Wednesday 08 Aug 2007, you wrote:

> > > You're right, of course - I had forgotten to restart.  However, now I
> > > have
> > >
> > > telnet localhost 143
> > > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> >
> > That means Dovecot didn't start. It most likely wrote an error message
> > to logs.
>
> [root at david program]# service dovecot status
> dovecot dead but subsys locked
>
> Hmm -
>
> dovecot: Aug 08 21:15:47 Warning: Killed with signal 15
> dovecot: Aug 08 21:15:51 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down
> dovecot: Aug 08 21:15:51 Error: auth(default): Unknown userdb
> driver '/etc/passwd' (typo, or Dovecot was built without support for it?
> Check with dovecot --build-options)
> dovecot: Aug 08 21:15:51 Error: child 30279 (auth) returned error 89
>
> It's 10pm here, and I've wrestled with this most of the day.  I'll be back
> to it in the morning, but I'm really tired now, and the brain is seizing
> up. :-) Any help you can give, I'll follow it up and report back.  Thanks

OK - I did the check, which returned

dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=poll notify=inotify ipv6 openssl
SQL drivers: mysql
Passdb: checkpassword pam passwd passwd-file shadow sql
Userdb: checkpassword passwd prefetch passwd-file sql static

so it has to be my config file.  I'll try again to read up on this, but I'll
be glad of any help available.

Anne