[Dovecot] Bug in Exim->Dovecot auth

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 9 14:53:06 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 13:47 +0200, Chris Laif wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using SMTP auth with Exim authenticating against Dovecot's auth
> socket. My (excellent) SMTP test tool "swaks"
> (http://jetmore.org/john/code/#swaks) tries multiple auth mechanismus
> consecutively which leads to the following message in Dovecot's log
> file:
>
> Error: auth(default): BUG: Authentication client gave a PID 6738 of
> existing connection

That probably means that the Exim code creates a second connection. Or
possibly closes the old one and then immediately creates a new one so
that dovecot-auth doesn't notice that the old connection had yet died.

In any case this could be fixed by having Exim use a single connection
for the entire life time of the process..