[Dovecot] imap memory footprint rather large

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Aug 14 16:52:04 EEST 2007

also sprach Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> [2007.08.14.1358 +0200]:
> So I guess most of the data in your dovecot.index.cache file came from
> some initial FETCH ENVELOPE/BODYSTRUCTURE/etc. for all messages. If you
> delete it, it won't probably get as large anymore.

This is true, I deleted it and it went back to 12 Mb, taking most of
our performance problems with it.

> I'm not sure if there's anything I can do on Dovecot's side to
> make this work better. This shouldn't be a problem except for
> large mailboxes that are accessed with Dovecot for the first time.
> There the possibilities are to cache wanted data immediately so
> that it can be accessed fast the next time, or not cache it at all
> the first time and if it's needed again doing the whole thing all
> over again.

Well, that, and dovecot could expire data in the cache after
a while, right?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

a gourmet concerned about calories
is like a punter eyeing the clock.