[Dovecot] imap memory footprint rather large

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Aug 15 15:05:01 EEST 2007

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> [2007.08.14.1552 +0200]:
> > So I guess most of the data in your dovecot.index.cache file
> > came from some initial FETCH ENVELOPE/BODYSTRUCTURE/etc. for all
> > messages. If you delete it, it won't probably get as large
> > anymore.
>
> This is true, I deleted it and it went back to 12 Mb, taking most
> of our performance problems with it.

I found the file to be ever growing, so when it had grown back to
160Mb in a single day, I decided to employ cron on the mail server:

  11 4 * * * find $HOME/.maildir -type f -name dovecot.index.cache -exec rm {} \;

Since my mail is fetched in the background anyway, I am happy to
take the performance hit first thing in the morning.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"moderation is a fatal thing. enough is as bad as a meal. more than
 enough is as good as a feast."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net