[Dovecot] namespaces, shared mailboxes

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu-wien.ac.at
Sun Dec 2 13:24:25 EET 2007

On 12/02/2007 09:41 AM, Nikolay Shopik wrote:
> On 02.12.2007 1:59, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth wrote:
>> I'd like to provide shared mailboxes with maildir that should appear
>> like 'Shared/<mailboxname>' to the clients.
>>
>> Using the namespace configuration below, everything works fine, exept
>> one thing: Mail clients (only tested with Thunderbird) won't allow to
>> put mails directly in 'Shared/mailboxname' (the folder it is greyed
>> out). You currently have to create subfolders and put the mails in those
>> subfolders.
> [...]
> Because AFAIK you can't create messages in prefix folder. Make your
> prefix less longer like
> prefix = Shared/

The problem with this solution is that there are shared folders for
different groups in Shared and dovecot will return an internal error
when trying to list a mailbox for which the user doesn't have read
permissions. See this thread for details:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/23528

That's why I had to write a post-login script that dynamically adds only
those directories as seperate namespaces to which the current user has
read-access.

Btw. I found out that if I create an empty directory
"Shared/<mailboxname>/.INBOX/", Mails in "Shared/<mailboxname>" (not
those in ".INBOX") are shown as a subfolder named INBOX in the client.
(Mails in "Shared/<mailboxname>/.INBOX" are ignored.) Maybe there is a
way to persuade the client to show those INBOX-Mails directly in
"Shared/<mailboxname>"?

Cheers,
--leo
--
e-mail   ::: Alexander.Bergolth (at) wu-wien.ac.at
fax      ::: +43-1-31336-906050