[Dovecot] namespaces, shared mailboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 2 15:45:27 EET 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 23:59 +0100, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth wrote:
> I'd like to provide shared mailboxes with maildir that should appear
> like 'Shared/<mailboxname>' to the clients.
>
> Using the namespace configuration below, everything works fine, exept
> one thing: Mail clients (only tested with Thunderbird) won't allow to
> put mails directly in 'Shared/mailboxname' (the folder it is greyed
> out). You currently have to create subfolders and put the mails in those
> subfolders.
..
> namespace shared {
>   separator = /
>   # hidden = yes
>   prefix = Shared/spamrep/
>   location =
> maildir:/var/spool/mail/Shared/spamrep:CONTROL=~/Maildir/control/Shared/spamrep:INDEX=~/Mail\
> dir/index/Shared/spamrep

I find it strange that this kind of configuration even appears to
work. :) If you somehow manage to get it working with v1.0, there's a
good chance that it won't work anymore with v1.1.

So if you want to access "Shared/spamrep" as a mailbox, the prefix must
be Shared/.

If you wanted users to have different views of what the mailboxes look
like, you could just change the location to be different for different
users. Create symlinks to the visible global mailboxes to those
locations.