[Dovecot] Updated v1.1 and summer plans

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sun Dec 2 17:56:58 EET 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:02:07AM -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:

  On 12/2/2007, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 18:56 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>> I don't see any mention of support for SiS (single-instance-storage) as
>>> discussed previously on the list, even
>>> for upcoming 1.2/2.0
>>> Did this fall through a crack? Or did you decide it was going to be
>>> too difficult for the time being?

>> dbox-file.h contains:
>>     /* Pointer to external message data. Format is:
>>     DBOX_METADATA_EXT_REF        = 'P',
>> That's about all there exists of that feature :) I haven't given up on
>> implementing that, but for now there have been more important
>> things.

  Fair enough... but since this one is near and dear to my heart ;)

  Do you have any idea as to a time frame for when you might be able to get
  to it? Are you thinking post v2.0? Even 2.1 or 3.0?

  I know its a hard question to answer, so if you just have no idea, thats ok
  too...

  Thanks again -

Another option to consider is server side deduplication such as the ASIS
block-level deduplication offered by NetApp (requires nearstore license).
Our site will be migrating to a new netapp cluster that supports dedupe
and I will probably use it for mail.  Although I doubt it does anything
for tape backups, I assume those will be full size.  Dovecot is cheaper
too :)