[Dovecot] Automatic Index Generation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 6 19:47:59 EET 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 13:35 +0100, Maciej Poszywak wrote:

> I'm looking for an application/script/etc. which will allow me to
> recreate dovecot indexes by hand from shell. I'm preparing myself for
> migration to dovecot 1.0.rc15 (debian stable)

Post-v1.0.0 releases would be better, there have been a lot of fixes
since then. backports.org for example has newer releases.

> and would like to create
> indexes before users start to login into new server to ease the load.
> My other option is to write a script which will log as each user and
> create indexes, however this seems a bit of painful way to do it.
> Anybody can point me in right direction?

I guess you're using maildirs? And you're migrating existing users'
mailboxes? Do your users use actual IMAP clients or webmail?

I'm not sure if you should worry about creating the indexes. If your
users use IMAP clients, just make sure you preserve UIDVALIDITY and UIDs
for messages, otherwise most of the clients will download all mails
again.

If you use webmail, there's some point in placing fields it accesses to
dovecot.index.cache files. The only way to do this is to execute IMAP
FETCH commands that accesses those fields.

If you were thinking about just generating dovecot-uidlist and the main
dovecot.index file, don't bother. Their creation is practically free.