[Dovecot] Automatic Index Generation

Maciej Poszywak jet at surreal.pl
Sun Dec 9 11:35:01 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:

 > I guess you're using maildirs? And you're migrating existing users
 > mailboxes? Do your users use actual IMAP clients or webmail?

POP3 and webmail.

 > I'm not sure if you should worry about creating the indexes. If your
 > users use IMAP clients, just make sure you preserve UIDVALIDITY and UIDs
 > for messages, otherwise most of the clients will download all mails
 > again.

UIDs are already taken care of and thoroughly tested.

 > If you were thinking about just generating dovecot-uidlist and the main
 > dovecot.index file, don't bother. Their creation is practically free.

It's not for a mailbox which has 30k+ messages and inbox around 600MB in
size. Takes a while to build the index, I have tested this already. First
login and index creation takes around 4-6 minutes, then next one just few
seconds.

--
Maciej Poszywak