[Dovecot] Automatic Index Generation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 9 11:40:41 EET 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 10:35 +0100, Maciej Poszywak wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>

>  > I guess you're using maildirs? And you're migrating existing users
>  > mailboxes? Do your users use actual IMAP clients or webmail?
>
> POP3 and webmail.
..
>  > If you were thinking about just generating dovecot-uidlist and the main
>  > dovecot.index file, don't bother. Their creation is practically free.
>
> It's not for a mailbox which has 30k+ messages and inbox around 600MB in
> size. Takes a while to build the index, I have tested this already. First
> login and index creation takes around 4-6 minutes, then next one just few
> seconds.

I guess you mean logging in with POP3? There the slowdown comes from
getting all messages' virtual sizes. So your preindexer could probably
do this by running pop3 for all users. If you use only a single UID for
users, you could do something like:

for user in `cat users`; do
  export MAIL=maildir:/home/$user/Maildir
  echo "quit" | /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
done