[Dovecot] Permission for /var/run/dovecot

Ronald MacDonald ronald at rmacd.com
Tue Dec 11 18:30:00 EET 2007

 Hi,

On 11/12/2007, Dr. Ashok N. Ullal <ashok.ullal at dikg-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> After the boot the permissions visible are:
> drwxr-xr-x root root    /var/run/dovecot
> drwxr-x--- root dovecot /var/run/dovecot/login
>
> What permissions do I need to set so that the warnings do not appear?

It needs to be owned by a non-root user. Otherwise, compromising the server
could result in compromising your box, and dovecot won't allow that.

Try adding a non-priv'd user to your system; one that doesn't have access to
anything, and is not usedby any other program. Then set the permission of
dovecot to that user.

Regards,
Ronald.

--