[Dovecot] Question with versions and problem with IMAP

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Dec 18 17:27:15 EET 2007

        General question I have is this.

Recently my personal server which I receive e-mail for a domain which is just for playing with rebooted on its own and I had both an RPM version and a source version of dovecot installed on the same machine. The RPM version started first even though I had been running under the source built version up until this point (I originally found that for some reason the version centos built was missing something, maybe plugins, I don't remember now) Anyhow, the question I have is why did it insist that all of my mail was new mail? I quickly realized what the problem is, and I noticed that once I switched it back and forth between the old and new versions it properly updated the 'read vs unread' mail in IMAP, and even though dovecot was using the same configuration file with both binaries (/etc/dovecot.conf) it made such a huge difference. The reason I am asking is because I want to update my source version from 1.0.rc2 to 1.0.9 but I would really like to retain my read vs. unread mail.

The RPM version in question is: 0.99.11

The problem I am facing is, today a large mailbox approx. 570M suddenly stopped working via IMAP in outlook express. (again on version 1.0.rc2) no changes have been made to the configuration for over a year.

There are no errors in maillog here is the output however:

Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<user>, method=PLAIN, rip=client, lip=server
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): Effective uid=552, gid=100
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): Loading modules from directory: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): Module loaded: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap/lib01_quota_plugin.so
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): Module loaded: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap/lib02_imap_quota_plugin.so
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): maildir: data=/home/user/Maildir:INDEX=/mailaux/user:CONTROL=/mailaux/user
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): maildir: root=/home/user/Maildir, index=/mailaux/user, control=/mailaux/user, inbox=
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): fs quota add storage dir = /home/user/Maildir
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): fs quota block device = /dev/sda1
Dec 18 09:49:53 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): fs quota mount point = /home
Dec 18 09:49:55 mail dovecot: IMAP(user): Disconnected: Logged out

Outlook express gives its usually helpful error message:

Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete.  Account: 'server', Server: 'server', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: '', Port: 143, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0148

Any advice on either of these issues would just be great.

Happy holidays to those who are celebrating this time of year!

-Drew