[Dovecot] Question with versions and problem with IMAP

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 20 19:01:53 EET 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 10:27 -0500, Drew Weaver wrote:
> I quickly realized what
>  the problem is, and I noticed that once I switched it back and forth
>  between the old and new versions it properly updated the 'read vs
>  unread' mail in IMAP, and even though dovecot was using the same
>  configuration file with both binaries (/etc/dovecot.conf) it made such
>  a huge difference. The reason I am asking is because I want to update
>  my source version from 1.0.rc2 to 1.0.9 but I would really like to
>  retain my read vs. unread mail.
>
> The RPM version in question is: 0.99.11

0.99.x and v1.0.x are really quite different. If the unread status was
broken only in 0.99 then it's most likely 0.99 bug. The unread state is
stored in the maildir filenames, so in general there should be no
problems upgrading Dovecot.

> Outlook express gives its usually helpful error message:
>
> Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete.  Account: 'server', Server: 'server', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: '', Port: 143, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0148

Use rawlog (http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html#sniffing) or something
similar to find out what command exactly failed (or what OE thought
failed).

Check dovecot-uidlist file's first line. Is the last number there larger
than 2147483647? If so, OE can't handle it and the only solution would
be to delete dovecot-uidlist and dovecot.index* files.

Or you could in general just see if deleting dovecot.index* files fixes
the problem.