[Dovecot] Large & busy site, NFS with deliver only servers

Dean Manners deanm at ispone.com.au
Mon Feb 5 13:38:33 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org [mailto:dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org] On
Behalf Of Timo Sirainen
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 11:42 PM
To: Dean Manners
Subject: Re: [Dovecot] Large & busy site, NFS with deliver only servers

> So why exactly is it busy? Are there tons of deliveries to this address,
or is the whole NFS system just hanging which is causing these?

Multiple deliveries (multiple delivering servers), or delivery whilst
IMAP/POP(ing). The process(s) seem to go into a frenzied loop state of NFS
GETATTR trying to wait for dovecot-uidlist.lock.

> Were there other errors before this one? I'd guess there was something
about overriding the .lock file?

Feb  5 13:07:36 mailfilter01 deliver(stresstest at stresstest.com):
file_dotlock_replace(/var/mailstore/stresstest.com/1/stresstest at stresstest.c
om/doveco
t-uidlist) failed: No such file or directory
Feb  5 13:07:36 mailfilter01 deliver(stresstest at stresstest.com): Our dotlock
file /var/mailstore/stresstest.com/1/stresstest at stresstest.com/dovecot-ui
dlist.lock was deleted (kept it 0 secs)
Feb  5 13:07:36 mailfilter01 deliver(stresstest at stresstest.com):
/var/mailstore/stresstest.com/1/stresstest at stresstest.com/dovecot-uidlist:
next_uid w
as lowered (18 -> 17)

> Why are you using deliver then? :)

Because it neatly fits in the criteria; Folder sorting on delivery, Quotas,
MySQL, Auto maildir creation, Very active developer :)
Have considered try maildrop, however that obviously creates additional work
to fulfill the above criteria.

> There anyway isn't an option to not update the uidlist file.

Hmmmm ok, perhaps theres something that can be done to reduce the chance of
it happening by having the MTA (Postfix) limit concurrent deliveries.
Thanks