[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Fri Feb 9 17:31:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 02:01 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 15:44 -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:
> > On January 20, 2007 1:09:22 AM +0200 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > > A couple of days ago I started thinking about this and then I figured
> > > out a way to solve all of this nicely with a new and great Dovecot based
> > > bug tracking system. :) Just so I won't forget it, here's the plan:
> >
> > The major problem with that is you have to WRITE a web interface which
> > will be different than bugzilla that everyone is used to.  Tracking is
> > also poor compared to bugzilla (or even gnats, which doesn't require
> > php sql etc).
> >
> > If you ever want dovecot to become a project that would outlive your
> > work on it, you should do bugzilla.
>
> Last time I asked about BTS here, people seemed to say "use anything but
> bugzilla". So I don't think that's going to be such a big problem..
>
> However I don't see why Dovecot BTS's tracking would have to be any
> worse than other BTSes. It would have a familiar web interface that
> would work just the same way as the others. But the main thing is that
> it would also allow people in mailing list to "use" the BTS, which they
> wouldn't otherwise do if it were a separate Bugzilla or similar.

I may jump in a little bit late, but I didn't notice this thread until
now.

What you say is not really correct. The usual way to have bugtrackers
interact with a larger development/user community is to have the BTS
automagically do this:

#1: post all incoming bugs (entered via a [web] interface) to a mailing
    list, such as dovecot-bugs

#2: post all follow-ups entered via a [web] interface to the same
    mailing list

#3: allow email based replies based on the subject line that go back
    directly into the bugtracker

That way, you would not be the only one that reads the emails and it
also allows responding to bugs via regular emails.

All this can be easily setup for bugzilla and mantis (the only ones that
I personally have dealt with to a greater extent so far).

If help is needed to get such a configuration working (also including
hosting of such a solution), I personally (and the company I work for)
would be happy to help out.

--
Udo Rader

bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH