[Dovecot] DoveCot compression to save HDD space

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 14 20:31:12 UTC 2007

On 14.2.2007, at 22.04, Charles Marcus wrote:

>> I think Cyrus also uses hardlinks. Well, the only problem is what
>> to do
>> when the destination users have different UIDs. Deliver would pretty
>> much have to deliver the mail as root, or use some kludgy
>> approaches. In
>> any case the file would then probably have to be owned by root (or
>> another specified user) and be read-only to the destination users.
>
> Actually, the only thing that would make any significant difference
> in the amount of space used is implementing this only for
> attachments...
>
> Wouldn't that be much easier, and bypass all of the UID and Deliver
> Header issues?

It wouldn't bypass UID problems, since there would still have to be
some way to share the attachments. It would fix the header issues
though.

Anyway, this is how I was planning on doing it for dbox, but it's not
possible with maildir format unless Dovecot does some weird things
(eg. replace the attachment MIME parts with some external MIME part
pointers, not worth the trouble and performance slowdowns in normal
operation I think).