[Dovecot] Dovecot proxy question (hostname instead of ip)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 15 16:45:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 16:14 +0100, Wouter de Jong wrote:
> Feb 15 15:43:24 proxy-test.widexs.nl dovecot: pop3-login: proxy(username):
> mspool01-test.widexs.nl is not a valid IP
..
> Are there any reasons NOT to make this work ? :))

It requires DNS resolving and there's no way to do nonblocking DNS
resolving with libc. Although in login processes this wouldn't matter as
long as login_process_per_connection=yes. Then again in proxying use
that setting is often set to "no"..

Nonblocking DNS resolving could be done with an external library, or I
could of course implement my own. But since proxy is the pretty much the
only place where this currently could be useful, I haven't really
bothered to do either of those.

Or I could simply implement the blocking DNS resolving and you'll just
have to make sure that your DNS servers are always responding and doing
it fast enough not to cause problems.