[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Kenny Dail kend at amigo.net
Sat Feb 17 00:42:38 UTC 2007

> > > I don't think I want an anonymous user to be able to create bugs. Maybe
> > > what I'm after is an automatic user creation based on the given email
> > > address, but the user won't be able to log in before verifying the
> > > email. If a user already exists for the given email address, that bug
> > > also belongs to that existing user even though no password was asked
> > > (but it could mention that it was created anonymously and log the IP).
> >
> > But that's how most othe rregstration systems work too. All
> > bugzilla/mailman etc. typically want is to verify the autheticity of
> > the given email address.
>
> But why? If all you're doing is just adding a new bug, what's the point
> of verifying the email address? It's just annoying to the user.

Especially if someone like myself is already registered to the mailing
list, I don't feel the need to go and register into a bugtracking system
and have my email verified yet again.

> I just made a simple mockup of what I'd like the "Enter new bug" page to
> be like: http://dovecot.org/tmp/bug.html

Nice and simple is good. I'd include a couple of other fields to make it
easy to get useful info, like dovecot version and OS. But I'd really
prefer to just email reports in to the list.

> The log in page would then allow logging in with email/password, or
> allow "registering" the user by sending a new password to the email.

Perhaps it can just be integrated with the maillist login page?
--
Kenny Dail <kend at amigo.net>