[Dovecot] wrong dovecot GID while upgrading

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Feb 18 21:37:49 UTC 2007

On Sunday February 18, 2007 at 03:43:36 (PM) Geoffroy DESVERNAY wrote:

> I saw this, and I think it's a freebsd-port problem...
>
> I solved this by changing dovecot's uid and gid to 143, I think the
> startup script will fix permissions...
> (except /var/run/dovecot/login/ssl-parameters.dat or
> /var/lib/dovecot/ssl-parameters.dat, I don't remember...)

There was a notice regarding this is the /usr/ports/UPDATING file awhile
back.

To keep things copacetic, in the /usr/ports/mail/dovecot port, do this:

make && make deinstall && make reinstall

That should take care of the problem. I have heard of a rare instance
where you the required to remove the dovecot user and group prior to
running reinstall. You can use 'pw' to handle that chore.

Surprisingly enough, this problem only seems to surface this one time. I
would definitely NOT recommend changing the UID and GID numbers. It
could very well come back to bite you in the ass later.

Just my 2¢.

--
Gerard