[Dovecot] Dovecot on Solaris x86?

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Feb 24 07:19:01 UTC 2007

At 10:57 PM -0800 2/23/07, Bart Smaalders wrote:
>Bill Cole wrote:
>>At 5:02 PM +0900 2/22/07, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
>>>I use dovecot with Solaris 10 on x86.
>>>
>>>I will point out that the OpenSSL that comes with Solaris 10 is
>>>very broken and will generally not work with ... anything. If you
>>>go fetch latest OpenSSL, either package from sunfreeware, or build
>>>yourself, and make sure to link against "/usr/local/ssl" instead.
>>>(I wouldn't advice pkg_rm the system ssl as the PAM module is
>>>linked against it, if you want to be able to login).
>>>

>>I concur.
>>
>>If you want to use anything Sun isn't giving you with SSL on
>>Solaris, you want to get a standard build of OpenSSL and link
>>anything you need against it, not the not-really-quite-OpenSSL Sun
>>provides.
>>
>>(incidentally, you don't mention the version of Solaris you are
>>using. That might be relevant)
>>

>That is one option; the other is to install SUNWcry and SUNWcryr
>packages; these restore the missing ciphers (removed due to certain
>countries forbidding import of strong cryptography in years past).

Thanks for the details. I had not previously analyzed the problem in
detail, only addressed the operational issues by writing off the Sun
customized version as inadequate (see Sendmail, SSH, etc...)

(I say that as someone who works with almost exclusively Sun gear
running Solaris. I love the system overall, but hate the way Sun
integrates critical bits of open source. )

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com