[Dovecot] unknown namespace with Mac OS client

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 3 23:56:13 UTC 2007

On 4.1.2007, at 1.48, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Timo Sirainen writes:
>
>>> I used the solution from Barry Warsaw which he explained at:
>>> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-December/018301.html
>>>
>>> Since making that change the mail.app client was able to
>>> subcribe/ see all folders.
>> I don't see why that would change anything for the "unknown
>> namespace" issue, but anyway that solution is a pretty ugly
>> kludge,  that won't necessarily work in future Dovecot versions.
>
> So what do you recommend then?
> We are migrating to Dovecot and we don't have a mail.app
> application to test, so we depended on the users from one domain to
> let us know something is wrong. Since we changed them to Dovecot
> they could not use folders. They could only see the INBOX.

Hmm. That's a bit weird.

> If there is some debugging that we could turn on to send to you? I
> would be more than happy to do it.

I'd like to know what causes the "Unknown namespace" error to occur.
That'd require you to have rawlogging enabled for the user (http://
dovecot.org/bugreport.html) and remove the other namespace.

> Why would future version "break" that setup?

Hmm. Actually now that I think of it, it's not necessarily that much
broken. I originally thought that they'd have identical namespace
prefixes, but since they're INBOX. and INBOX/ they're a bit
different. :) Anyway you should mark one of them with hidden=yes so
clients that support namespaces won't show all the mailboxes twice.
Also make only one of them have inbox=yes.

Still I don't see why/where Mail.app would be trying to use / separator.