[Dovecot] unknown namespace with Mac OS client

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 5 14:18:40 UTC 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 9:15 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 27.12.2006, at 16.07, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>> I see in this thread, http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-April/
>> 012918.html, that others had simmilar problems with Mac OS client.
>
> I don't really understand this problem. I tried this myself now:
>
> If I set IMAP Path Prefix to "INBOX.", Mail.app totally ignores the
> setting. But since Courier requires having the same thing to work,
> it's probably somehow just not working right with me. Anyway even
> then I was able to use Dovecot just fine, I got the "unknown
> namespace" error only when trying to create a new root mailbox.
>
> It would be helpful to know what exactly is the difference between
> Courier and Dovecot. In Dovecot's side you could easily do it with
> rawlog (see http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html). In Courier's side
> you'd have to use something else. Anyway just seeing what command
> gives the "unknown namespace" error would help me figuring out what
> the problem is.

I'm not sure I can help with the Courier side as it's not installed
on my new imap box.  But I turned on raw logging for Dovecot, removed
the Mail.app namespace hack and started up Mail.app.  Here's one
example of the .in and .out files.  Sure looks like Mail.app wants an
INBOX/ namespace.  Does this information help?

% less 20070105-091347-9316.in
2 CAPABILITY
3 SELECT INBOX/Python/Dot-Org
4 SELECT INBOX/Python/Humor
5 SELECT INBOX/Python/Friends
6 SELECT INBOX/Python/History
7 SELECT INBOX
% less 20070105-091347-9316.out
* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2007-01-05 09:13:47
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS
2 OK Capability completed.
3 NO Unknown namespace.
4 NO Unknown namespace.
5 NO Unknown namespace.
6 NO Unknown namespace.
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $NotJunk
JunkRecorded $Junk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft
$NotJunk JunkRecorded $Junk \*)] Flags permitted.
* 1467 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1093060105] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 296237] Predicted next UID
7 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

- -Barry