[Dovecot] trouble debugging

Aaron Solochek aarons-dovecot at aberrant.org
Sat Jan 6 21:16:32 UTC 2007

Aaron Solochek wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> I tried that (I just tried again) and I get the exact same info in my
>>> manually specified /tmp/dovecot.log.  I ensured that file was
>>> world-writeable just to be safe.
>>
>> And there's nothing after those? I can't really say anything else than
>> that if "internal error" comes, there is _always_ written an error
>> message about it in the logs, and none of the above messages are an
>> error..
>>
>> What about if you set log_path and info_log_path to different files?
>> Is the log_path's file totally empty all the time?
>>

> The warning when shutting down goes to the log_path, and the debug stuff
> goes to the info_log_path.  No error show up.  When I run imap directly
> I get errors logged to stderr if I don't have credentials to access my
> maildir, but no errors anywhere if I do.

The error with no message is coming from this code in imap/cmd-select.c at line 38:

      if (box == NULL) {
                 client_send_storage_error(cmd, storage);
                 return TRUE;
         }

so it is the preceding mailbox_open command that is returning a null mailbox.
I'm not sure the best way to debug from there is, but there is certainly an
error condition which hasn't be specifically caught and reported somewhere in
the mailbox_open code.

-Aaron