[Dovecot] trouble debugging: got an error!

Aaron Solochek aarons-dovecot at aberrant.org
Sun Jan 7 17:56:12 UTC 2007

Aaron Solochek wrote:
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> And there's nothing after those? I can't really say anything else
>>> than that if "internal error" comes, there is _always_ written an
>>> error message about it in the logs, and none of the above messages
>>> are an error..
>>>
>>> What about if you set log_path and info_log_path to different files?
>>> Is the log_path's file totally empty all the time?
>>>

>> The warning when shutting down goes to the log_path, and the debug
>> stuff goes to the info_log_path.  No error show up.  When I run imap
>> directly I get errors logged to stderr if I don't have credentials to
>> access my maildir, but no errors anywhere if I do.
>>

> The error with no message is coming from this code in imap/cmd-select.c
> at line 38:
>
>      if (box == NULL) {
>                 client_send_storage_error(cmd, storage);
>                 return TRUE;
>         }
>
> so it is the preceding mailbox_open command that is returning a null
> mailbox. I'm not sure the best way to debug from there is, but there is
> certainly an error condition which hasn't be specifically caught and
> reported somewhere in the mailbox_open code.

Ok, I finally got an error.  I had to disable mmap and turn on dotlock (which I
should have done initially), but not I get the following error:

dovecot: 2007-01-07 12:50:23 Error: IMAP(aarons): Corrupted transaction log file
/XXX/Maildir/.Trash/dovecot.index.log: unexpected end of file while reading header

I deleted those log file thinking that they may have gotten corrupted with all
my messing around, but the error still comes back.  Any ideas?

-Aaron