[Dovecot] Disable TLS on port 143?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 9 19:57:59 UTC 2007

On 9.1.2007, at 21.53, Jackie Hunt wrote:

>>> Is there a way to disable the TLS support provided by Dovecot
>>> on port 143?
>>
>> You can use ipchains or your external firewall to disable TLS, though
>> why you care, I don't know.
>
> Thanks, John.  I'm replacing a UofW IMAP server, and would like to
> do a "transparent" switch to Dovecot.  We found that the clients are
> negotiating a TLS connection on 143, and then complaining about our
> certificate.  I want to avoid having to reconfigure clients.

I don't think you'll find any simple way to do that other than
modifying the sources. I'd rather not add yet another new setting
just for that. In v2.0 it'll probably be possible because I'm adding
support for all kinds of setting groups.

> I haven't hear of ipchains, I'll investigate.

It'd have to remove "STARTTLS" from CAPABILITY response. No idea if
it's actually capable of doing that.