[Dovecot] Message size incorrect?

Tristan Woudenberg - Prism Mail Solutions tristan at prism.nl
Tue Jan 16 10:00:52 UTC 2007

Hi there,

I recently installed a plugin for SquirelMail (php imap client,
squirrelmail.org) which adds up message sizes per folder to display a nice
total size of each subscribed folder. After consulting the plugin
maintainers at SquirrelMail in this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/12468/focus=12468

There is quite a discrepancy in the rfc822.size reported by Dovecot and
the actual space it takes up on my harddisk. I know there could be some
overhead here from all the dovecot* and subscription list files in my imap
folders, but like I stated in my email to the SquirrelMail plugin mailing
list, about 1mb for a 4.3mb maildir mailbox might be a but much. Could
this be like Tomas Kuliavas wrote: "Maybe those message have some data
that does not belong to message or their formating breaks dovecot's
message parsing functions."? I'm using Dovecot-1.0.rc15, sorry if this has
been fixed between this release and the current.

Kindest regards,

Tristan

--
Prism Mail Solutions