[Dovecot] dovecot-auth file descriptor usage

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Tue Jan 16 22:14:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:07:43AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 13:55 -0600, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> > Mods were made (and appear in rc16) to close out the descriptor in question
> > after using it during authentication (as I understand it).  However, I am
> > still seeing plenty of file descriptors left open in rc16 (one per session).
> > For example, on a Solaris 9 server with 9 IMAP connections open here is
> > an lsof excerpt of dovecot-auth:
>
> How about if you check those imap-login processes that are doing only
> SSL proxying, do they also have the socket open?

In our environment, we do not allow non-SSL connections.  Given that, should
I continue to expect to see this behavior?  If so, I will probably pursue
compiling Dovecot in 64-bit mode on Solaris 10 to get around this dang limit.

I just wanted to know 1) if this latest mod did what was intended, and
2) do 'n' imap-login sessions (SSL) always imply 'n' file descriptors used
within dovecot-auth?

> I just tried myself, and dovecot-auth keeps only as many auth sockets
> open as there are imap-login processes accepting new connections..

I assume you mean non-SSL. ?

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593