[Dovecot] dovecot-auth file descriptor usage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 16 22:26:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 16:14 -0600, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:07:43AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 13:55 -0600, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> > > Mods were made (and appear in rc16) to close out the descriptor in question
> > > after using it during authentication (as I understand it).  However, I am
> > > still seeing plenty of file descriptors left open in rc16 (one per session).
> > > For example, on a Solaris 9 server with 9 IMAP connections open here is
> > > an lsof excerpt of dovecot-auth:
> >
> > How about if you check those imap-login processes that are doing only
> > SSL proxying, do they also have the socket open?
>
> In our environment, we do not allow non-SSL connections.  Given that, should
> I continue to expect to see this behavior?  If so, I will probably pursue
> compiling Dovecot in 64-bit mode on Solaris 10 to get around this dang limit.
>
> I just wanted to know 1) if this latest mod did what was intended, and
> 2) do 'n' imap-login sessions (SSL) always imply 'n' file descriptors used
> within dovecot-auth?
>
> > I just tried myself, and dovecot-auth keeps only as many auth sockets
> > open as there are imap-login processes accepting new connections..
>
> I assume you mean non-SSL. ?

No, non-SSL exits the imap-login processes after login, so that has
never reserved fds. So the fix was for SSL connections, and I tested SSL
connections..

I'm now just wondering if it's only dovecot-auth that doesn't notice the
socket closing for some reason, or if the imap-login processes proxying
SSL didn't really close the socket after all.