[Dovecot] LDAP authentication stops working...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 22 14:38:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 14:45 +0100, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> > Are you using auth_bind=yes? That's been a bit broken. I finally today
> > did several fixes to it so that it won't hang at least with my stress
> > tests. The code is now in CVS and I built a new nightly snapshot if you
> > want to try before rc18 release.
> >
> > Looks like ldap_bind() can't really be used while anything else is going
> > on. Now the code waits until all the existing LDAP searches are
> > finished, then it does the bind, and then nothing is done until the bind
> > is finished.
>
> This fix seems to make it behave a lot better!
>
> I think I can still trigger this issue though, by opening Outlook 2003
> (sorry :X), and holding down F9 for a bit (send/receive shortcut). When
> the send/receive query contains about 5+ actions, outlook stops
> responding.
>
> But still a LOT better then before. At least when the problem occurs,
> other users can still login, which wasn't the case before.

Could it be because of Outlook? ;) I tested it with 100 simultaneous
virtual clients doing login+logout all the time and didn't notice any
hangs. You could set auth_debug=yes and look at the logs what happens
when the F9 is being hold. Does it log an ldap_bind() that just doesn't
seem to get a reply?

Hmm. Actually now that I think of it, the ldap_bind() must give a reply
before the connection is used for anything else. So if the other users
can still log in, I think there's a good chance that the bug isn't in
Dovecot's side.