[Dovecot] More AFS maildir debugging

Aaron Solochek aarons-dovecot at aberrant.org
Tue Jan 23 12:25:03 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 06:56 -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, I can think of two possibilities: pread() is broken, or link()
>>> is broken. Try if dotlock_use_excl=yes helps? If not, try removing
>>> HAVE_PREAD from config.h and recompiling.
>>>

>> It looks like setting that config option solved the subscription
>> problem.  So, in summary, to put the maildir in AFS you need to keep the
>> indexes on the local disk (or memory) disable mmap and any hardlinks,
>> use dotlocks, and set the dotlock_use_excl=yes option.
>>

> I think dotlock_use_excl=yes could have fixed index files as well.
I actually think it did, because when I was cleaning up my debugging
stuff I noticed that I was explicitly setting the MAIL environment
variable in my mail_executable (which is just a script to get
credentials before accessing AFS) and I was setting it just to the
maildir without the extra options.  Putting the index files on the local
disk makes a lot of sense anyway for performance reasons.

Thanks.

-Aaron