[Dovecot] More AFS maildir debugging

Craig Huckabee huck at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Jan 24 13:32:13 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 20:24 -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>>> So there's something weird which causes newly created files to be
>>> broken. Does it work if you append :INDEX=MEMORY to mail_location? What
>>> about if you add :INDEX=/tmp/dovecot-%u or something so that the indexes
>>> aren't in AFS?
>>>
>> Both modifications fix the index problem on rc18.  However, a new problem I'm
>> noticing now with thunderbird is that subscriptions are not persistent.  It
>> seems whenever thunderbird connects to dovecot, it gets an empty subscription
>> list.  Any advice on how to fix this?
>
> Does the subscription file contain anything? Or does Thunderbird just
> break it by subscribing mailboxes?
>
> Anyway, I can think of two possibilities: pread() is broken, or link()
> is broken. Try if dotlock_use_excl=yes helps? If not, try removing
> HAVE_PREAD from config.h and recompiling.

   AFAIK, hard links are not supported at all in AFS, only symlinks.
When I installed Courier for our local site, I had to replace the 'link'
calls with 'rename', and 'unlink' with 'remove' - all #ifdef'd in our
local source tree.

   We're looking to switch to Dovecot so I'm happy to see someone else
trying this out.

   Putting the INDEX files elsewhere makes sense too if you want to use
AFS quotas - one issue we have with Courier is that a user over quota
gets denied access because all of the uuid/index files in Courier live
in the maildir.

   I'm still hoping someone can explain the quota plugin API to me so I
can submit an AFS quota plugin - I have the code to calculate the quota
but I'm having a hard time understanding what the different quota
functions should return.

--Craig