[Dovecot] environment variables required for startup

Kenny Dail kend at amigo.net
Fri Jan 26 18:20:02 UTC 2007

> Using dovecot-1.0-rc19 (quotas are working good, btw) on Gentoo, I have
> a strange problem.  On boot, dovecot doesn't start, the init script just
> times out. From the command line, it starts instantly without problem.
> Also, using a program called 'monit' to make sure processes stay
> running and restart them if they stop, if I manually stop dovecot, it
> is then unable to start it (calling the init script).  Nothing gets
> logged.  In all cases, it's "/etc/init.d/dovecot start".
>
> The only thing I can think of is that there's some environment variable
> required which isn't being set.  monit specifically says it unsets
> everything except for a basic path before running the start program.
> Do any environment variables need to be set in order for dovecot to
> start successfully?
Actually this would have more to do with Gentoo than with Dovecot. Check
out the init script you are using. Are you getting any errors on the
console where you run the init script?

the init script we are using:
#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-mail/dovecot/files/dovecot.init,v 1.3 2005/12/14 23:32:08 uberlord Exp $

depend() {
        need net
        after saslauthd ldap slapd postgresql mysql
        use logger
}

start() {
        ebegin "Starting dovecot"
        start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/dovecot \
            --pidfile /var/run/dovecot/master.pid
        eend $?
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Stopping dovecot"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --exec /usr/sbin/dovecot \
            --pidfile /var/run/dovecot/master.pid
        eend $?
}

HTH