[Dovecot] Best small server config

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 26 22:49:18 UTC 2007

On 27.1.2007, at 0.34, - wrote:

> I have not even mentioned what version I'm using. And what does
> that matter
> regarding my questions, even?

The answer to your question is pretty much that: Dovecot is designed
to run with as little memory and CPU as possible (but not at the cost
of disk I/O), and there really aren't any settings that you can tune
to make it use any more or any less memory. Pretty much the only
setting I can think of is login_processes_count, since it directly
affects how many extra login processes it's keeping around.

> So this software totally disgregards ALL
> former conf entries when turning from 0.99 to 1.00 ? Some fine
> piece of work!

Disregards? No, it gives an error at startup.

> This Timo seems to have deducted the version I'm using from conf
> entries,
> which is very stupid itself, because if the conf has a couple of
> old entries
> it means dovecot is leaving shit behind from older versions
> and does not clean those. Who knows, I might have left them in
> just to annoy you idiots!

You wouldn't even be able to start a newer Dovecot version with that
config, so you must be running 0.99.x version.

Dovecot 0.99.x should really have been called v0.1, and there's no
good reason to use 0.99.x config file as a starting point when
upgrading to 1.0rc.