[Dovecot] Best small server config

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Sat Jan 27 16:39:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:34:44PM +0100, - wrote:
> On 1/26/07, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> >- wrote:
>
> >0.99 is VERY old, and is no longer supported. The changes are far too
> >numerous to go into. Suffice it to say, if you want any kind of support
> >with dovecot, you need to be at least using one of the more recent rc's
> >- if not the latest one.
>
> What a useless bunch of answers here.

FWIW, I've had better support on this list than several name-less for-profit
companies.  I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

> I have not even mentioned what version I'm using. And what does that matter
> regarding my questions, even? So this software totally disgregards ALL
> former conf entries when turning from 0.99 to 1.00 ? Some fine piece of
> work!

Just because you don't mention the version, that doesn't mean folks can't
deduce the version based on the information that you did provide.
Regarding compatibility, Timo has done a good job of providing backward
compatibility where it makes sense, and error messages at the very least.

> This Timo seems to have deducted the version I'm using from conf entries,
> which is very stupid itself, because if the conf has a couple of old entries
> it means dovecot is leaving shit behind from older versions
> and does not clean those.

I would not like software installations that touched my configuration files.
Just give me a new version of the default configuration file and I'll review
and update my configuration as needed.

> Who knows, I might have left them in just to annoy you idiots!

I think your definition of "idiot" differs from the rest of ours.  :-)

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593