[Dovecot] Best small server config

Sat Jan 27 19:08:05 UTC 2007

> FWIW, I've had better support on this list than several name-less
> for-profit companies. I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

A hearty seconded to that... although there have been a few occasions
when Timo sort of disappears for a while, he always says so and why -
and he even does still answer if there is a serious problem and the
reporter provides decent proof of it in their post.

>> I have not even mentioned what version I'm using. And what does
>> that matter regarding my questions, even? So this software totally
>> disgregards ALL former conf entries when turning from 0.99 to 1.00
>> ? Some fine piece of work!

> Just because you don't mention the version, that doesn't mean folks
> can't deduce the version based on the information that you did
> provide.

Not only that - it is a given on any support list for every program I've
ever used that you need to provide some essential information when
asking for help, the version of the program you are running and the
platform being two items that are a bare minimum in most cases.

Since you didn't bother to provide these details, what else can Timo or
anyone else do but try to guess based on what you did provide?

> Regarding compatibility, Timo has done a good job of providing backward
> compatibility where it makes sense, and error messages at the very least.

And he has also always documented changes that will break things in
older versions. Anyone who attempts to upgrade a program without at
*least* reading the release notes of every version prior to the version
you are currently running is just rolling the dice, so when they get
bit, they have no one to blame but themselves.

>> This Timo seems to have deducted the version I'm using from conf
>> entries, which is very stupid itself, because if the conf has a
>> couple of old entries it means dovecot is leaving shit behind from
>> older versions and does not clean those.

Watch your mouth. No reason to pollute the list with profanity...

It isn't dovecots job to clean up your config files, thats your job. Or,
possibly, the job of the package maintainer for your distro, but
personally, I would not use a package that tried to make decisions liek
this for me.

> I would not like software installations that touched my configuration
> files.

Amen... I really like the way Gentoo does it... shows you a diff of the
new and old, and you can step through each change and accept it or not.
Usually I do it by hand, but it works well when I have gotten lazy... :)

> Just give me a new version of the default configuration file and I'll
> review and update my configuration as needed.

Heh... exactly...

--

Best regards,

Charles