[Dovecot] repeat downloads of message headers in 1.0rc19

James Garrison jhg at athensgroup.com
Mon Jan 29 21:31:46 UTC 2007

I reported this against rc7 and rc8, and still see it occasionally.
(I'm running the rc8 that comes with Fedora 5).

It is always associated with this message in dovecot.log:

dovecot: Oct 23 19:26:17 Error: POP3(user at domain.tld): mbox sync: UID
inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/vhosts/domain.tld/user (12 >
4, seq=2, idx_msgs=5)

Once this happens, dovecot will refuse to clear out the
mbox file when the user retrieves email via POP.  Each
time the user logs in to retrieve mail s/he gets everything
in the mbox, which continues to grow.  The only fix I've
been able to find is to manually delete the mbox file.

I'm using postfix as the MTA.

--
James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:jhg at athensgroup.com                    5608 Parkcrest Dr